Sunday, January 22, 2006

Sunday Morning XV

The unicycle was shiny and new. It had one wheel, two pedals, a seat and no handlebars.

When I clapped eyes on it, my first thought was: How hard can it be? I knew I'd be pedalling this around the block in the swish of a horse's tail.

However, after several attempts, it occurred to me. Driving a car without an engine would be easier than learning to ride this monstrousity.

Many years later, looking back on the fiasco, I realized there are two requirements needed to master the art of riding a unicycle. Balance and patience. With a bit of determination thrown into the mix.

The key ingrediant, of course, is balance. Don't lean to far to the right. Don't overcompensate and tilt too far left. You can lean forwards, but only a little bit. Don't throw your shoulders into reverse and fall over backwards.

Balance.

We could laugh out loud at this one-wheeled bike. It's a strange contraption.

Yet, as we chuckle merrily doesn't it just hit us in the forehead like the palm of a hand smacking sense into our skulls. Duh. Life is a unicycle.

Guess I'll dig that truncated form of a bicycle out of the closet. It's hidden in there somewhere. Renew my efforts and learn to ride the darn thing. The only thing I need is balance. And patience.

And yes . . . guess it wouldn't hurt to throw a bit of love into the mix.
Chae



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home