Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Power Trip

It's not that I think judges are somber folk who wear Edgar Allan Poe suits. Conversely, I don't expect to see them wearing yellow, polka-dot bikinis either.

Actually, how a judge buffs himself out was not a pejoritive crossing my consciousness . . . until last night.

I suppose I know as much about the Supreme Court Justice nominee, Samuel Alito, as any other partially-informed, avid news hound.

In 1996, [United States vs Rybar] Alito voted against banning interstate transportation of machine guns.

On the Vanguard case, he failed to recluse himself despite the fact that his special interests in this company could bias his judgement.

His papertrail, tied like a tail to the kite of his current opinions, point unalterably to a narrow view of "Right" vs "Wrong".

It would seem that his opinions stem from a strong belief in the infallability of authority which would explain why he advocates strengthening presidential powers beyond prudent and necessary checks and balances which, in the past, have safeguarded America from totalitarian rule.

It would also explain his unfortunate opinions on the Roe vs Wade embroilment.

While these tidbits of information drubbed my enthusiasm for this nominee's confirmation, I still entertained thoughts of delaying my decision while approaching any new information with an open mind.

UNTIL LAST NIGHT . . . when I viewed the news release covering the first day of Alito's confirmation hearings.

Being a wee bit farsighted, I thought, at first, my eyes were deceiving me. So I moved closer to the TV screen. Checking and rechecking what my vision said was true. Surely, if you watched this news presentation, you saw it, too!

It stood out starkly and clearly. There wasn't a doubt in your mind.

Alito was wearing a bright red tie! To his confirmation hearing!

A POWER TIE.

Nothing more singularly delineates Alito's motives for seeking the Supreme Court Justice nomination.

A power tie.

This is not a man seeking the meaning of justice.
Not a man seeking to examine the Rule of Law.
Not a fellow with a strong judicial philosophy.

Quite simply, this is a man seeking power.

If Alito had worn an Edgar Allan Poe suit or a yellow, polka-dot bikini, it wouldn't have raised cain with the fine hairs of alarm at the back of my neck.

But a power tie?

That's cause for a down vote. Or, at the very least, a filibuster.
Power Trip © 2006 Chaeli Lee Sullivan



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home