Sunday, April 09, 2006

Sunday Morning XXVI

We all know we're suppose to let go of yesterday and move on into tomorrow. To be more specific, we're suppose to release the heartaches, pain and grievances of yesterday which will allow us to move into the future.

If we're busy holding onto our grievances and pain and heartaches, we are anchored, tethered to a particular spot and are forever bound, tied to that moment. We relive it over and over.

Goodness. Wasn't it bad enough experiencing it the first time? Do we want to get lost in that moment and continually relive it?

OK. Sometimes, we recognize a path like letting go of the hurts, grievances and heartaches of the past as a correct course of action. But just how in the world do we actually do this?

A spiritual friend recently mentioned that a method of release from these negative emotions is to recognize that they are present, acknowledge them, thank them, then send them off on their journey.

Hold it partner. Thought you'd slip one by me, did you? Are you trying to tell me to Thank that sucker for hurting me? C'mon, get real. Someone murders my feelings and you want me to THANK them for causing me great pain?

Well folks, I'm with you on this one, but my friend says that whatever, whoever or however this situation evolved . . . it served some purpose and helped us in our overall growth.

So OK, I can actually catch a glimmering of truth in that statement, so I suppose if it helped me grow, I could thank it. I don't necessarily have to embrace it; just thank it.

After mumbling a reluctant thank you, send it off on its journey.

And how does one send it off on its journey? By "seeing" it as a lump of something (gray air works for me) and just letting it float up through the top of one's head, floating up, up and away into the air as if it were a balloon filled with helium.

My friend said the crucial factor is: don't attach a story to the emotion! She says if we attach a story to it, we glue the negative emotion to ourselves and then we are trapped into reliving the story again and again. Just release the emotion. And watch it float away.

So there you have it folks. A method of how to put a principle to work. If anyone has other methods and would like to share them, please feel free to add them to the comments section.

In the meantime, God Bless and have a joyous week.
Chae

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home