Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Sockular Lumination

You've got to admit the little bugger was clever. Who would have believed it could be done at all? Let alone done by a chap only ten-years-old.

The boyo had dismembered a light bulb. Not broken it, mind you. But he'd managed to separate the glass section from the metal base and was now proceeding to stick a sock into the hollow glass bulb. As I watched, he put the whole apparatus back together again and screwed the bulb into the living room lamp from whence it came.

"Say, old chap, do you have an explanation for this?" I asked.

"Yeah."

After several minutes, when nothing more was forthcoming, I probed a bit further. "Would you like to tell me what it is?"

"Well, Mom was shouting at me to put a sock in it."

"And . . . ?"

"She really wants to act on stage, you know, so figured if I rigged her up some footlights maybe she wouldn't be so mad at me."

"Um hum." Nodding sagely as if that indeed was the ticket, I stuck my hands in my pockets and wandered off.
Sockular Lumination © 2006 Chaeli Lee Sullivan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home